NHS Lanarkshire provides a number of services which can help people affected by alcohol related problems.
Lanarkshire Alcohol & Drug Service (LAADS)
The key goal of NHS Lanarkshire’s specialist alcohol and drug service is to improve the physical, mental and social health of people who are dependent on alcohol or drugs.
- Nurses, GPs, occupational therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists are employed by LAADS.
- The team will assess a person’s individual needs and in addition to providing medical treatment will offer support and advice on a wide range of issues.
- They can also refer them to other community based support services such as employment and training, social work resources and family support services.
You can access these services by contacting the alcohol and drug team directly or through your GP.
NHS Lanarkshire has two teams in Lanarkshire covering two geographical areas:
For Hamilton, Larkhall, Blantyre, Uddingston, East Kilbride and Strathaven contact:
Douglas Street Community Health Clinic
19 Douglas Street
Tel: 01698 368 700
For Carluke, Lanark and rural Clydesdale, contact:
Carluke Community Health Centre
40 Chapel Street
Tel: 01555 777 431
Fax: 01555 777 472
Substance Misuse Liaison Nurses
This service operates within the three hospital sites at Hairmyres, Monklands and Wishaw, from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, to support patients with alcohol or drug problems, their families and also the NHS Lanarkshire staff who are treating them.
- The Substance Misuse Liaison Nurse Service is run by a nurse at each site.
- It is the aim of this service to ensure people who have alcohol and drug problems receive the care they require. To do this their specific social, physical, mental and emotional needs must be addressed.
- The service also aims to increase the numbers of substance misusers in contact with the healthcare services available in the three hospitals.
- Service is delivered on a Monday to Friday, 9am 5pm basis.
For more information on the service contact:
Substance Misuse Liaison Nurse - Pauline Izat
Tel: 01236 712750
Substance Misuse Liaison Nurse - Anne Kelly
Wishaw General Hospital
50 Netherton Street
Tel: 01698 366479
Substance Misuse Liaison Nurse - Aileen Coyle
Tel: 01355 584626
One of the most important methods in which NHS Lanarkshire will attempt to reduce the number of people drinking too much will be brief interventions.
When people use their local health services NHS staff will discuss their alcohol consumption. Where appropriate they may be referred to specialist services for further treatment.
It hoped Brief Interventions will highlight the dangers of drinking beyond recommended amounts, and provide help and support for those whose drinking exceeds these levels.